Here in Chichester, at a town meeting held on June 13, 1791, Article 3 stated:
"To see if the town will found and establish a church in this town in order to have an ordained minister who shall go in and out before this people, teaching us the Word of God and the Gospel of Jesus Christ truly." It was also stated in another article that - "August 3, 1791 will be set apart as a Fast Day to seek God's direction." Both were so voted!
The first meeting house was erected in 1793 near the site where the town library is situated - the spot is marked with a plaque.
Reverend Josiah Carpenter was called in September 1791 with a proposed salary of fifty pounds ($250) and this salary supplemented by twenty-five cords of wood and six tons of good English hay! He served the church for thirty-six years.
Over the years the meeting house fell into disrepair and it was voted to build a new building. In 1838 Josiah Carpenter deeded about a half an acre of land to the Union Congregational Society "there upon" to erect a new meeting house.